Green Star® Member Benefits
By becoming a member of the Green Star® program, your business or organization may benefit in several ways:
- Lower energy and waste removal costs. Every year, Green Star® members cut costs as they implement the Green Star® standards for waste reduction. For example, while following the Green Star® program, the University of Alaska Anchorage reduced the amount of hazardous waste it generated and reduced annual hazardous waste disposal costs from $20,000 to $2,000.
- Reduced environmental liabilities. When businesses comply with the Green Star® standards, they protect themselves as well as the environment. For example, by replacing gasoline-powered machinery with more efficient natural gas-driven equipment, Alaska Airlines prevented potential leaks from underground storage tanks, which could have resulted in serious penalties and fines, as well as seriously damage underground water supply. Green Star® educates companies on appropriate disposal techniques and preventative maintenance, which can save on disposal costs.
Publicity and Recognition in the Community
- Publicity for your business. Green Star® works hard to promote the efforts of its members. Award winners will be announced in local press releases and through the Anchorage Chamber of Commerce. Also, an annual list of members is published and distributed at many Green Star® functions. Members will be listed on the Green Star® website and can be linked to their business’ website. Through these and other publicity opportunities, Green Star® will promote your business and your commitment to the environment.
- Recognition as a Green Star® member. Because of Green Star’s respected reputation in business and environmental communities, its members, through association, benefit from this reputation. After earning the Green Star® Award, members receive a Green Star® logo sticker, which can be displayed in the business, attracting new clients and customers who recognize the program name and care about the environment. Members also have permission to use the program name and logo in connection with their business (e.g., business letterhead, press releases, websites, fax cover sheets, signs, equipment).
Training and Education
- Workshops. Green Star® provides workshops and training sessions on a variety of waste reduction and energy conversation issues such as energy awareness, conservation, paper reduction, and purchasing recycled products.
- Sharing with other members. Green Star® brings members together to discuss concerns and issues regarding waste reduction, as well as share suggestions for applying the Green Star® standards in various situations.
- Better health. Participation in the Green Star® program will lead to better health for your employees and customers as you reduce waste and air pollution in the business setting. The community as a whole will also benefit from your participation as the life of the current landfill is extended, thereby saving taxpayer money and conserving and protecting natural resources.
- Sense of pride for environmental responsibility. As you participate in Green Star®, you and your community can take pride in the contribution you are making while protecting the resources and beauty of Alaska.